Thursday, January 07, 2010

Juana Enchiladas!


Last night, I created and perfected what I now call JUANA ENCHILADAS! The name Juana Enchiladas comes from my high school Spanish name. My sophmore year, my Spanish teacher gave us all Spanish names, mine became Juana. Since I took Spanish all throughout high school and college the name stuck amongst my Spanish classmates and friends. I love so much about the Spanish culture so the name has so much love behind it. I hope you enjoy the food as much I enjoyed making it into my own creation.

Juana Enchiladas:
8 corn tortillas
1 lb ground beef
1/2 small onion
1 can (15 oz) Tomato sauce
Shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
Shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp hot cayenne pepper (2 tsp if you like it extra hot!)
1 tsp chili powder

Preheat oven to 350. Ground the beef and saute the chopped/diced onion in the same pan until cooked. Put the beef/onion mixture in a medium bowl and add 1 tsp tomato sauce and a handful of Sharp Cheddar cheese and mix well. Place the tortillas in a paper towel and warm in microwave for 40 seconds. Spoon the beef mixture into each tortilla, roll and place in a 9 x 13 baking dish with seam side down. For the sauce, mix the remainder of the tomato sauce, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, and chili powder. If there is any leftover beef mix, I add that to the sauce as well. Pour the sauce over the tortillas in the baking dish. Sprinkle as much Monterrey Jack cheese as you like to cover the top of the enchiladas. I don't measure, I just coat it (you can never have too much cheese in my opinion) until it looks pretty. Then place in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Sometimes, I add some shredded lettuce as a garnish once it comes out of the oven, but not every time.

Feliz comiendo!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Can't wait to try and make both recipes! YAY! Thanks Jenny!

Team Taillac said...

YUM!!! Made this last night with venison, of course, and it was delish! Tony even complimented me which is huge since I struggle in the cooking department. Thanks for sharing this recipe! It's now a part of the Taillac meal rotation.

amypmouse said...

Jen Tiallac...I never thought to use venison! I bet that is good. Although, Jenny has never made this for her sister so I can't say if it really is as good as she says it is. But...she's a good cook so I'll take her word for it! :)